I bought 4 quarters of Halloween fabric for a sewing project (that I'll be sharing soon!) and I only ended up using 2 of them. The fabric was way too fun to let it go to waste, so I decided to make a photo booth backdrop with it.
I think it would be the perfect place for all my friends to take pictures of themselves in their Halloween costumes. Don't you? I'm going to be off at my next skating contract when Halloween finally rolls around, though, so I'm giving the backdrop to my friend Lei to use at her upcoming Pumpkins & Pino party.
To make this backdrop, you'll need the following things:
1. 2 quarters of Halloween-appropriate fabric (I got mine at Fancy Tiger Crafts)
2. Some leftover yarn
4. Tape (I used washi tape because I'm addicted)
Here's how to make it:
1. Cut both quarters of fabric into strips that are 1 inch wide. While you're doing this, don't worry about cutting your lines perfectly straight, as no one will notice if the strips are flawless or not once they're tied onto the yarn.
2. Stack the 1 inch wide strips on top of each other and cut them again so they're 5.5 inches long.
3. You should now have tons of little strips of fabric that are 1 inch x 5.5 inches.
4. Lay out all the strips on the floor so that you can get an idea of the shape of the backdrop and how many fabric strips you'll want in each column. I settled on 9 columns with 15 fabric strips in each column. Now lay a super long piece of yarn next to your strips and start tying the strips onto the yarn, 3 or 4 inches apart. I tied mine with a simple half knot. Once you finish tying one column of fabric strips, continue onto the next piece of yarn, then the next and the next until you've completed all of them.
5. It's finally time to hang it all up with some tape! I tied a little knot at the end of the yarn and placed the tape just under the knot to prevent the yarn from slipping away from the tape. I also used washi tape because it's pretty and I love it, but any kind of tape would be fine.
Now it's picture-taking time!
Karleen, Justin, and I had some fun with this part...
|Ladies who Lunch|
|One more lady?|
|My personal favorite: the grumpy traveler|