Thursday, July 18, 2013
Potato-Crusted Fried Green Beans
There's a TGI Friday's near our apartment so we hang out there sometimes. My friend, Katie, orders the fried green beans every time we go, and I always feel a little bit jealous.
Yesterday I decided to try making them gluten free at home with boxed mashed potatoes instead of flour and it totally worked! Here's the recipe.
2 egg whites
Boxed mashed potatoes (I used Idahoan Original Mashed Potatoes. If you use a different brand, make sure they're gluten free.)
Salt and pepper
1. Pour an inch of oil into a medium-sized pot and heat it to 350 degrees f.
2. Separate the eggs and pour the whites into a bowl.
3. Combine 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1 tsp salt, and a dash of pepper onto a plate or shallow bowl.
4. Dip each green bean into the egg whites, then the potato mixture, then drop them into the pot of oil for 3 to 4 minutes, until they're golden brown.
5. Scoop the beans out of the oil and place them onto a paper towel on a plate.
6. Sprinkle with salt and serve!
These were so crunchy and delicious! Justin and I also think it would be fun to try making them with flavored mashed potato mixes like the pouch of bacon & cheddar chipotle potatoes that's currently sitting in our cupboard. I'll let you know how it goes if we do it.